About Learn Fresh
Learn Fresh is a transformative nonprofit that empowers educators with innovative STEM and social-emotional learning experiences built around sports and entertainment. Learn Fresh programs focus on achieving equitable representation across the STEM pipeline for girls, students of color, and those living in low-income communities. Students who engage in Learn Fresh programs discover a new way of learning that is fun, highly engaging, and results in academic and social-emotional growth. To date, our programming has engaged over 550,000 students across the US and beyond. Learn Fresh programs include NBA Math Hoops, MLB Players STEM League, STEM Goals, and the Fellowship for Culturally Inclusive Education.
About the Role
The Major Gifts Officer role will report into the Chief Development Officer and work closely with the CEO and Learn Fresh Board members to secure high-level gifts from individual funders. This role will provide strategic, well-formulated, and innovative fundraising approaches to secure new individual gifts while stewarding donors throughout the major giving process. This includes, but is not limited to researching, sourcing, and soliciting new individual donors on behalf of Learn Fresh and our programs.
- Research, identify, and solicit major gift prospects in key markets across the US with a particular focus on LA, San Francisco, and Seattle.
- Build a portfolio of new individual donors and secure gifts of $20,000+ for Learn Fresh programming.
- Work with Learn Fresh Board Members and the Learn Fresh Emerging Leaders Council to engage potential funders and host prospecting events.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to develop donor solicitation strategies and build a sustainable pipeline of donor prospects.
- Work collaboratively with the Chief Development Officer and Director of Communications to prepare materials related to donor stewardship, reporting, and gift solicitation, including presentation materials, proposals, case statements and slide decks.
- Develop and maintain an ongoing relationship with funders, with a “high-touch” stewardship approach.
- Utilize Salesforce to track and manage donor/prospect portfolios.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit development with a proven track record of securing leadership or major gifts from individuals.
- A passion for mission-driven work, a familiarity with current issues and trends in education, and an understanding of philanthropic funding landscapes in education and youth programming.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills (a clear, concise writer!), strong time management skills, and a strong sense of independence and self-motivation to complete projects in a remote setting.
- Experience sourcing and tracking potential funding opportunities amongst high-wealth individuals; ability to develop and maintain relationships with relevant contacts.
- Proven ability to cultivate strong relationships among culturally diverse communities.
- High level of discretion and ethical approach to fundraising.
- Industry knowledge of education funders in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and/or Seattle is highly preferred.
- Experience with Salesforce is highly preferred.
- Ability to travel as needed, including a valid driver's license and passport.
- A good sense of humor and team-first attitude!
Salary and Benefits
Base Salary: $70,000 - $85,000
Salary is variable based upon experience.
Health, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage is provided.
Location: Remote (Los Angeles, CA)
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion have always been key to our success. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, and our employees are people with different strengths, experiences and backgrounds, who share a passion for improving people's lives. Diversity not only includes race and gender identity, but also age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, religion, and many other parts of one’s identity. All of our employee’s points of view are key to our success, and inclusion is everyone's responsibility.